Monday, March 31, 2014

Back in Apalachicola

Dyer dinghy on tow, Monitor holding course
Sara and I made it across the Gulf without too much damage, although I was quite exhausted after arriving in Apalachicola--it took days and days to recover. The passage was trying.
Leaving Fort Myers Yacht Basin the morning of March 13, it took us more than a day to reach the Gulf, all by motoring about five knots, towing my new, bright yellow, Dyer Dinghy.
We passed through Boca Grande Pass Friday afternoon about 3:00 pm and set sail for Apalachicola with the Monitor self-steering gear holding a near perfect course.

Windvane
At first, we paralleled the coast, sailing when we could; however, we felt justified to use the motor to hurry across the Tampa shipping lane. Those ships are really, really big! And, they neither stop nor maneuver quickly. But, we missed them all. Because the wind was light, we hove-to for the night.
Saturday, the wind was brisk at our backs, which caused for some big, following seas. At one point when we surfed down the face of a big wave, we hit almost ten knots! The gear held our course beautifully and we made very good time, with usual speeds from 5.0 to 6.2 knots.


Seasick Sara Sleeping
Sara got seasick, so that when night came, I had to stand watch. I figured that someone should take a look around and check the course and dinghy at least every half hour, so I set my alarm and tucked in. This is a very tiring system, by the way. Sara roused herself for a few checks, so I got a little sleep.

The next morning, Sunday, March 16, we were out of sight of land and the wind was at least 15 knots and getting stronger. We were finally getting close to Apalachicola according to the GPS. However, the Coast Guard weather report indicated a cold front would pass us towards the end of the day. So, I altered course slightly to Dog Island Pass (close to Carabelle) and put one reef in the main--should have put two reefs and changed the head sails). The day went smoothly enough and we made good time; again, the Monitor self-steering gear worked superbly.

Genoa Jib Drawing Full
When night came, I dropped the Genoa jib, tied everything securely, and hove-to for the night because Sara was seasick and I was beyond tired. The front hit like a freight train and turned the sea into a slosh of running horses. The wind literally howled in the rigging and the wind generator shot the ammeter's needle off the dial! The boat was sound, though, and although we had to hold on to move around (keep one hand for the boat) and use lee cloths to stay in our bunks, it was not too bad. I got quite a bit of sleep.

Monday morning was hard. The front had passed, leaving a calm. When I looked for the dinghy, all I saw was its painter disappearing into the Gulf; also, that painter was fouled around the self-steering gear's water vane, its rudder. So, when the waves were crashing, the dinghy jumped around the water vane, and both were damaged. As for the dinghy, its bow ring eventually pulled out--that's all I have left of my $400 investment is a brass bow ring, bolts and nuts included. As for the gear, the force of waves and boat had broken a retainer ring of the shaft connecting the water vane and the wind vane, so the shaft was loose, bent, and unable to do its self-steering job.
Genoa Jib Broken
Then, I went forward and found that the Genoa jib had come loose and most of it was in the water. During the storm, the bow must have stomped over and over on the jib's body, so that it ripped in the middle. I don't know if it is reparable or must be replaced. Too bad! That sail could drive the boat smartly. When Adam and I crossed, with the main, Yankee, and staysail, we averaged 6 knots. Later with the main gone, I set just the Genoa and we made about 5 knots. What a great sail!

The rest of the trip was mostly uneventful. Due to no wind, I dropped the sails and we motored through Dog Island Pass and into Carabelle. I won't mention that we ran aground in the river and had to be towed off by good old Sea Tow (thank goodness for the membership), but we finally met up with our daughter Lisa Tripp bearing sandwiches, and I spent the night at Slips and Moorings. My crew went on to Tallahassee, so the next day I continued single-handed.
First, I filled up with diesel and found that it took only twelve gallons to go 280 miles. Not too bad. A lot of cars can't do that. The wind was right in my face until the buoy turn to Apalachicola, so I enjoyed putting along at five knots. After the buoy, I raised sail, but the wind was light, so I assisted it with the engine. Once in the river, I dropped all sail and motored to my slip. Home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment